T here are many couples these days who are facing issues with the conceiving. The issue of conceiving is primarily due to male infertility issues only and the figures speaks that it is almost 50% of the total cases. The problem is with the conventional sperm parameter which includes sperm count, sperm motility and their morphology. To figure out the problem and the solutions, the semen analysis is done. Semen analysis measures the concentration of sperms, motility, and the morphology. This test does not provides a clear insight into the genetic constitution of sperms which is required for the embryo development.
What is DNA fragmentation?
D NA fragmentation is the process of breaking the strands into the small fragments. This is the process done in the laboratory by the experts to incorporate the collection of the cell. Sperm DNA fragmentation is higher in men and the men with the poor semen parameters have high sperm DNA fragmentation. Sperm DNA fragmentation occurs due to the increased toxic material in the environment. With the increase in the air pollution , the infertility problems has increased and has also affected the reproductive outcomes for some of the couples.
• Poor semen parameters
• Exposure to harmful substances
• Recurrent miscarriage in partner
• Arrested embryo development
• Unexplained infertility
• Lifestyle changes- drugs, smoking, and occupation
• ICSI rather than IVF
• Testicular aspiration of sperm
• Diet which includes fresh foods, which includes antioxidants, Vitamin C & E
The reduction in the levels of the fragmentation can also be assessed by undergoing the second test after three months of the first test conducted.
• If DNA damage are <=24%, there are no significant problem.
• If DNA damage range is greater than 25 % and less or equal to 49%, there is increased risk of fertility problem
• If DNA damage is greater than 50%; there are high risk of fertility problem and IVF treatment failure.