C ryopreservation is defined as the technique which involves the freezing of the tissue or the cell so as to store it for future usage for the IVF treatment. With the storage of these embryos in earlier stages, the women does not have to go for the stimulation by fertility drugs to do the embryo transfer while the IVF infertility treatment cycles. The sperms and the embryos collected during this procedure are stored by freezing them and to be used in future IVF cycles avoiding the needs for additional surgeries for the patient.
Who should opt for Cryopreservation?
Cryopreservation is widely used preservation option for the couple who wish the following:
- Couples who wish to have children in later stages of their life as at present they are focused on their career, relationship, etc.
- Couple or the individual taking treatment of cancer or other serious disease which may affect their fertility
- Having extra embryos left after the IVF cycle and could be used in future for pregnancy in future.
How many embryos are frozen on an average with an IVF cycle?
- No. of embryos to be frozen depends on age of the individual
- Response of the young females are impressive towards the treatment of IVF. Producing more eggs, thus resulting higher chances of having excess embryos available for the purpose of freezing
- The average no of leftover embryos for freezing purpose are shown as below in the graph:
Types of Cryopreservation
There are two types of cryopreservation known to be available to the patients by the Dynamic Fertility and IVF center. The types of cryopreservation with their brief description are given as follows:
The hormones used for the stimulation of the development of multiple eggs are of part of the regular course of the fertility treatment. After the stimulation, the eggs are retrieved and fertilized in laboratory by the technicians. The embryos created here can be effectively transferred to the female’s uterus. These extra embryos of good quality are freezed in the laboratories so as to be used in future for enhancing the chances of pregnancy. The embryos are frozen during the stage between the first day and the sixth day after the retrieval of the eggs has been done.
Only good quality embryos are selected for the procedure of Cryopreservation. The slightly damaged or the poor quality embryos can not result in to fertilization , hence are not used in the cryopreservation procedure.
- Cryopreservation treatment is not suggested for the intended couples to undergo after the age of 40 due to the health risk associated.
Some of embryos selected are very reliable and thus are preserved routinely by the method of cryopreservation whereas at present it is not efficient to freeze the eggs i.e oocyte cryopreservation. Isolated reports are also made from the resulting frozen eggs. Research centers around the world, are indulged in defining the safe and reliable egg freezing methods. The researchers have studied enough to design a breakthrough of the oocyte cryopreservation.